18. 24/7 Project - Glenda Jones

24/7 Project - On my Grandmother

I decided to do my 24/7 project on my grandmother. Currently living in a terrace house in my home town with my Grandfather, my grandmother, Glenda, lives a fairly interesting day to day life, if I do say so myself. Currently in her late 60's, and still working a part-time job in a small cafe in town, my grandmother enjoys cooking and every week she'll head to her usual club for a night of bingo and drinks. 

I decided to base the project on 'Mam' mostly due to the fact that I know her, and know she'd be easy to photograph and I wouldn't need to tell her not to smile, I could be floating in the background quite easily, unnoticed, and this was important when trying to capture her every day doings. 


Personally, I don't feel that close to my grandmother, even though I can easily spend time with her, chatting and what not, but I don't know feel like I know what she's really like. 


I really enjoyed spending this time with my grandmother, I felt like I got to know her a little better and she got to know me a little better, we would spend time complaining about my grandfather, who's strong personality and opinions are very easy to disagree with. By the end of my first day there we were laughing about this and that, and she was very interested to see my photographs, and after I left to return to Cardiff, she was very eager for me to send the photographs back to her. She's also lost a lot of weight recently, so her confidence was glowing!


Photographing in her work place was also very simple, being a small cafe above a bakery shop, serving coffee's and sandwiches, with only three or four employees working at a time, plus they all knew what I was there for and let me carry on. In one day I managed to take over 100 photographs, capturing my grandmother doing what she does, and also focusing more on details which might represent an aspect of my granmother's day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9. Street Portraits - Vivian Maier

5. Fake or Not?

29. Going for the New Topographics approach.