17. 24/7 Project - Planning

24/7 - Glenda Jones - A Day with Mam.

Planning

To begin, I met Mam in the small coffee shop which she goes to most mornings before she beginnings work at 11am or if she's not working. She was there with my Aunty, as she normally is, where they sit and chat over a cup of coffee with a free refill. I was fairly, unnecessarily nervous and shy, but this eased off as the day went on. When Mam got to work I decided to take the Sander style photograph straight away, while it was quiet, then I kept in the background, photographing now and again, unnoticed, focusing on the area where Mam works.
I noticed the yellow from the bright colour scheme, filled the photograph, which I thought might be slightly over powering, but when I'm only planning on using 4 or 5 of the photographs of my grandmother in work in the final selection, I figured that the yellow might not be so obvious, especially after they've been turned black and white.
While sitting in the coffee shop, taking photographs and waiting for an opportune moment for my Grandmother to talk to a customer, I began making notes of what I photographs I wanted to take, ideas of what I thought my grandmother might be doing and what photographs I could take to really capture the essence of her day. I thought this was good to refer back and forth to, and a things did change on the plan as I went along, but it was a good place to start.
As the day went along my grandmother began to relax a little and got into her daily routine fairly easily. She does spend most of her time cooking in the house, which I did notice, and if she wasn't cooking, she was sitting watching television, so I knew I wanted to take these two photographs in my final selections. I was very fond of the photograph of my grandmother outside the front door of her house. I liked how the house filed the frame and created a frame around my grandmother's small figure in the bottom right hand conner.
 Throughout the day I'd been taken photographs without using the flash on my camera, using natural light. I had tried using the flash on one of the photographs in the contact sheet above, but the light was much too harsh, so I went back to not using the flash. I was very fond of the photograph of the shopping list which I'd taken. It's kept at the small side table which my grandmother has just next door to her chair, along with her glasses and other things.
I spent a large amount of the work photographing detail in my grandmother's house, it's a fairly dark house as it is, and as the afternoon was getting on it became very dark, very quickly, therefore most of these photographs are quite dark. I did want to have a selection of photographs to choose from, when it came to looking at detail, so these photographs are useful to consider.
Again, more house based one, and for some reason I'd taken photographs of some of the Christmas decorations around the house, which when looking at them, I don't really think I should use because it's not really relevant to a 24/7 with my grandmother. 
In these photographs, my grandmother was beginning to get ready for her evening out. A friend of hers comes over in the evening before they drive to the club, so I did notice that my grandmother became less natural and more 'posing', as in I was trying to capture photographs of her leaving the house, which turned into more of a fake posing photograph. Trying to explain to them that they were meant to be documentary, proved quite difficult. I was also very fond of the photographs I took of the their table, with the money, drinks and bingo card on it. I really liked the composition of the entire photograph.
Overall, I'm happy with my selection of photographs which I have taken. It's a whole 24hours with my grandmother, and I thought it was very important to actually capture the whole day with my grandmother. I feel like I could've taken more photographs perhaps, just to have more of a selection, even though I know I have more than enough to choose from.
I also took this photograph outside of the club, showing the sign of the club, which I was quite fond of, but in the long run I thought it might be too dark to use for the final selection, but I'm glad I got it in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9. Street Portraits - Vivian Maier

5. Fake or Not?

29. Going for the New Topographics approach.