26. Getting to My Idea.

Answering the questions with regards to 'Filtering My Thoughts'.

What sort of photography do you enjoy looking at?
I enjoy viewing a range and variety of photography, mostly landscape, but when it comes to Documentary Photography I am mostly intrigued by the works of the New Topographics, including Ed Ruscha and the Bechers. I enjoying viewing the work of the New Topographics because the work encourages thought when looking at the images. 

How do you view photography? - As a social tool - As a personal creative tool for self expression - As s money making profession - As a Science - As an art. 
When given to choose from these particular words of description, I would say I view photography, mainly, as a science but I would also say, in terms of Documentary Photography, that it would be viewed with an educational purpose. This is something I would very much like to achive as part of my Documentary Photography Project, an educational purpose. I also feel that photography can be used as a personal creative tool for self expression and as a n art.

Which of your own photographs gives you the greatest satisfaction and why?
I can be quite critical of my own work, and I wouldn't be able to say that there is one single photographs that gives me the greatest satisfaction, although there a few I'm quite proud of and happy with. I think if I had to choose any favourites, these three photographs below would be my favourites.
As you can see just from my three favourite photographs I have a passion in nature and wildlife, although there are several of my landscape photographs which I am fairly proud of, personally, but looking at them and don't see anything's that jump out at me.
Over the years, I have been able to watch the way my photography has progressed. Yes, I have some of my favourite photographs from several years ago, but they do not compare to photographs I have taken recently. 
I did recently capture this photograph of a Red Kite near Llandeilo, which I am very proud of, even though Bird Photography isn't something I consider a major passion of mine.

Do you enjoy working with other people or on your own? 
I much prefer working on my own, as opposed to working with other people. I feel much more relaxed when working on my own, and I always feel this slight pressure when working with others, which I don't work well under. I have been able to work with my mother, or close friends, people whom I feel comfortable with. 

Why is photography important to you?
There are several reason why I consider photography important. It is my only true passion, the only hobby I have ever done, where I am happy. Growing up, surrounding by hundreds of my mother's photo albums, which I was always sent to organise, I feel this urge to document my life. Looking through old photographs, of my grandparents, of my parents, of my own, I always feel contentment. Documenting my life, and those around me, is very important to me. 

What sort of environment would you like to work within? 
I'm not entirely sure what type of environment I would like to work in, I'm still fairly unsure at the given time. 

Which assignment have you got the most out of in your first year? 
Thinking back to last year's assignments, there is only one particular assignment which I felt I got the most out of, this is Photography Practical One. I found this entire module very engrossing and useful! Our first, training exercise assignment consisted of creating a Triptych, focussing on texture, shape and composition. For the main assignment, I then created a typology of old Mile Posts, as part of the title 'Objects of History & Science'. I aimed to create a historic record of these objects, which are slowly vanishing, with the expansion of roads around the Llanelli area. I thoroughly enjoyed this module, start to finish. It was all film based, which I enjoyed even more. 

What do you hate about photography?
It's unnecessary expense. It seems, nowadays you need an expensive camera and lens to get anywhere in photography, to be recognised. I am perfectly happy with the camera I own, which is a Canon 550D, but being surrounded by people with a Canon 50D or much higher professional marks, you do feel fairly pressurised. 

What are your interests outside of photography - are they transferable to your professional Studies? 
I have several interests outside of photography, there is no immediate thought that one could be transferable to into my studies. I have an A-Level in History and Information Technology, perhaps my history A-Level might be of use. I do have an interest in Music, a strong interest at that, I also go to a large number of live concerts. I do a spot of surfing, and work through the Summer on the Gower, which is filled with culture and heritage. I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit any of these into my major project. 



I created this simply, very basic, spider diagram, and from this I was able to filter through my ideas and perhaps pick one. 
One particular idea which stood out to me was Castles. Being in a Welsh School, our heritage and culture was something that was grounded into us from a very young age. Regular school trips were made to Kidwelly Castle, which was our nearest and most local castle, and these trips were made almost every year! This is defiantly my strongest idea at this given time.


Statement of Intent

For my major project for Documentary, I am planning on documenting the great historic castles that are scattered over the South Wales landscape. Personally, I do feel that Wales is fairly known for its Castles, and even though not everyone appreciates these monumental buildings, they are still an important part of our history. 

The reason why I want to carry out this particular project is mostly due to the fact that these artefacts will probably be part of our lives for very long periods of time. Some castles are so large that the chances of them being taken from our landscape, is very slim. Even though these castles will last, I still feel it is important to document them, know about their history and why they exist among us. I also studied A-Level history, and I looked at castles for my AS-Level Art work. It seems I have always had a strong interest in these buildings, and what they represent.

In this project I will aim to produce a large body of work, making it possible for viewers to be able to look at these monuments in one place, which will make possible to highlight the differences between each one. 

Another aim which I am hoping to accomplish in this project is to understand more about these large buildings which, so many people know so little about. This is also an opportunity to educate others about the castles. It’s also interesting to know the various conditions which these castles are in, and how you can find them in the most unlikely places. 

At the end of this project I expect to produce a large body of work, embracing the importance of these monuments, and producing an educational documentation of them, acknowledging their date of build and various other historic information, which others might ignore. I am hoping to make these buildings more appealing for people to visit, focusing on small details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9. Street Portraits - Vivian Maier

5. Fake or Not?

29. Going for the New Topographics approach.